Matt Guilfoyle is a supervisor, not a neuroscientist. But in his decades on the job, he’s developed a theory about the human brain.
“Weird things happen when you’re involved in golf,” says Guilfoyle.
This transformation causes ordinary people to behave strangely. that they Vertical measurementfor example, and talk loudly for inanimate objects, playing from tips when they can’t crack 90 forward tees, and using catchphrases like “That’s Purina, Bardy!” Some even engage in behavior that smacks of ignorance of golf course operations.
In addition to his full-time work, at Desert Canyon Golf Club, in Arizona, Guilfoyle has been a co-host of from jingweedsa podcast dedicated to Lawn care business. We asked him and his podcasting partner, Dan Cutler (also a veteran moderator) to compile a list of things golfers don’t quite get or appreciate about the work they do.
1. We don’t put “illegal” pins
They said it: “There’s no such thing as an ‘illegal’ pin. If it’s green, it’s legal. They may be cut in a hard place, but they can’t all be easy.”
2. These sand bottles are there for a reason
They said so: “We don’t put them on a tee for decoration. And we don’t put them on carts so they can go for a ride.”
3. Frost delays She is a greater pain for us than she is for you
They said it: “Send us back. We have to rework our schedules. We get bombarded with complaints from golfers. Oh, and for the record, just because you haven’t seen any frost in your house and you can’t see any frost from the clubhouse doesn’t mean we don’t deal with it here.”
4. mid round Basement arrangement is not in our job description
They said it: “Staff shortages are real, and our people have a lot of other things to do.”
5. Speaking of bunkers…they’re supposed to be a risk
They said it: “It must be hard to get out of it.”
6. ball markers does not fit itself
They said so: “Depending on the season and type of grass, it can take months for them to heal.”
7. Fix your ball marker and one more It is not a motto that all golfers live by
They said that: “You say that because you’re talking to a supervisor. But if you really did, there wouldn’t be many signs on the green.”
8. We don’t control the weather
They said that: “Do we really need to explain this?”
9. We are not meteorologists either
They said it: “We use the same weather forecast apps as you. We’re also not plumbers, carpenters, electricians, or wildlife removal specialists.
10. You don’t want greens as fast as you think you do
They said it: “Golfers say they want fast greens so they can play fast greens. Thirteen days.” stimpmeter It’s a 6-hour prescription.”
11. We’re not trying to fool you
They said it: “Running a golf course is a business, and it costs money. Water, fertilizer, labor and materials. So, no: fees for greens shouldn’t be what they were 20 years ago.”
12. “Why is it just the cart track? Your hardware is right there.”
They said so: “Because we know where the wetlands are. And there are only a few of us, not hundreds of chariots driving randomly everywhere.
13. Getting out before first tee time causes all kinds of headaches
They said that: “It messes with our upkeep. And then, when you pass us, you complain that the greens aren’t cut and the new nails aren’t cut.”