ROCKAWAY, NJ, Sep 21, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — ElectroCore, Inc. (Nasdaq: ECOR), a commercial electronic biopharmaceutical company, today announced that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has issued four patents related to non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation (nVNS) and other technologies, including the following patents: :
- US Patent No. 11,406,825 “Mobile Phone for Treatment of a Patient with Dementia” issued August 9, 2022. This patent is generally associated with nVNS therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as dementia or Alzheimer’s disease using a stimulator coupled to a mobile device, such as a mobile phone;
- US Patent No. 11,432,760 “Devices and Methods for Remote Therapy and Patient Monitoring” issued on September 6, 2022. This patent is generally associated with nVNS which includes a catalyst coupled to a mobile device, such as a mobile phone where the catalyst is used capable of transmitting data to the mobile device which includes, among others, the position of the electrode(s) on the surface of the skin relative to the target nerve;
- US Patent No. 11.439,818 titled “Electrical Nerve Stimulation for Treatment of Gastroparesis, Functional Dyspepsia, and Other Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders” issued September 13, 2022. This patent is generally associated with nVNS therapies for the treatment of postoperative ileus; And the
- US Patent No. 11446491 titled “A Stimulator for Use with a Portable Device” issued on September 20, 2022. This patent is another in a series of patents received by ElectroCore that generally relate to the use of nerve stimulators with portable devices, such as a mobile phone. The patent includes claims for the device and method for generating an electrical impulse with a stimulator coupled with a portable device and applying electrical impulses across the outer skin surface to a target site in the patient.
“We are delighted to receive these four new patents from the USPTO, further strengthening our intellectual patent portfolio,” said Dan Goldberger, CEO of ElectroCore. “These new patents support our mobile connectivity platform, through the use of mobile devices paired with a stimulator to deliver nVNS therapy. The addition of these patents underscores our commitment to advancing therapy beyond those who suffer from migraine and cluster headaches, and we look forward to continuing to explore the role of nVNS. in different cases.”
About ElectroCore, Inc.
ElectroCore, Inc. is a commercial bioelectronic company dedicated to improving patient outcomes through a non-invasive treatment platform for vagus nerve stimulation, initially focused on treating multiple conditions in neuroscience. The company’s current indications are preventive treatment of cluster headache and migraine, acute treatment of migraine and episodic cluster headache, acute and prophylactic treatment of migraine in adolescents, and paroxysmal and persistent migraine and migraine in adults.
For more information visit www.electrocore.com.
gammaCore™ (nVNS) is the first non-invasive, manual medical treatment applied to the neck for the treatment of migraines and cluster headaches through the use of mild electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve that passes through the skin. Designed as a portable, easy-to-use technology, gammaCore is self-administered by patients, as needed, without the potential side effects associated with commonly prescribed medications. When placed on a patient’s neck above the vagus nerve, Gamma Core stimulates afferent fibers in the nerve, which may reduce pain in patients.
gammaCore (nVNS) is licensed by the FDA in the United States for use as an adjunct in the prophylaxis of cluster headache in adult patients, the acute treatment of pain associated with episodic cluster headache in adult patients, and the acute prophylactic treatment of migraine in adolescents (aged between 12 and older) and adult patients, and paroxysmal hemiplegia persists in adult patients. Jamacor is CE marked in the European Union for the acute and/or prophylactic treatment of primary headaches (migraine, cluster headache and trigeminal headache).
Autonomic headaches and Hemicrania Continua) and overuse headache medications in adults.
Jamacor is contraindicated in patients if:
- Have an active implantable medical device, such as a pacemaker, hearing aid implant, or other implantable electronic device
- Have a metal device, such as a brace, bone plate, or bone screw, implanted in or near your neck
- You are using another device at the same time (for example, a transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation unit, a muscle stimulator) or any portable electronic device (such as a mobile phone)
The safety and efficacy of Gamacor have not been evaluated in the following patients:
- Adolescent patients with congenital heart problems
- Patients diagnosed with narrowing of the arteries (carotid atherosclerosis)
- Patients who have had surgery to cut the vagus nerve in the neck (cervicotomy)
- Pediatric patients (under 12 years of age)
- pregnant women
- Patients with hypertension, hypotension, bradycardia or tachycardia
For more information, please visit the website gammaCore.com.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding ElectroCore’s business prospects, clinical plans and product development; its pipeline or potential markets for its technologies; timing, outcome and impact of regulatory, clinical and commercial developments; Issuance of US and international patents that provide extended intellectual property coverage; the possibility of future business models and revenue streams from the company’s potential combination of nVNS and smartphone or application-based technologies; Availability and impact of motivation coverage, the potential for nVNS in general and gammaCore in particular and other statements that are not historical in nature, particularly those that use terms such as “expects,” “expects,” “believes,” “intends,” words with similar meaning, and derivatives of these words and the use of future dates Actual results may differ from those projected in any forward-looking statements due to many factors These factors include, among other things, the ability to obtain additional financing necessary to continue ElectroCore’s business, sales, marketing and product development plans, and inherent uncertainties in the development of new products or technologies, the ability to successfully market gammaCore™, competition in the industry in which ElectroCore operates and general market conditions.All forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this press release, and ElectroCore undertakes no obligation to update forward-looking statements or to update the reasons why results may differ. actual than those projected in the forward-looking statements, except as required by law.Investors should refer to all information provided in this document and should indicate ElectroCore also requires disclosure of risk factors set forth in reports and other filings with ElectroCore with the Securities and Exchange Commission, available at www.sec.gov.