Things are getting more and more crowded in the Atlantic, with another system heading towards the Gulf of Mexico. The National Weather Service is watching Tropical wave east of the South Windward Islands It will likely become a tropical depression over the next two to three days as it heads toward the central Caribbean later this week, and another off the coast of Africa.
Tropical Storm Gaston formed over the mid-Atlantic Ocean hours after it developed into a tropical depression, about 990 miles west of the Azores. It is expected to get stronger over the next day or two.
while. Hurricane Fiona intensified into a Category 4 storm this morning after it left the Turks and Caicos Islands and headed toward Bermuda, leaving destruction in its wake. Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic experienced up to 30 inches of rain causing widespread flooding, mudslides, loss of power and drinking water, and destruction.
Puerto Rico was devastated by Hurricane Fiona. Here’s how you can help.
At least three people have died, thousands have been displaced and about 80% of the island remains without power as of Tuesday, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). More rain is expected during the week in parts of Puerto Rico. The National Center for Emergency Operations said that in the Dominican Republic, more than 12,000 people were displaced, more than 1 million people were without water, more than 7,000 homes and businesses were without electricity, 3,000 homes were damaged or destroyed, and four bridges collapsed.
The next Atlantic storm will be Hermine.
Revised seasonal forecasts:The Atlantic hurricane season has stopped for a slow start. But top forecasters still expect above-normal activity
Here’s the latest update from the NHC as of 5 a.m. September 21:
- Location: 700 miles southwest of Bermuda
- Max wind speed: 130 mph
- Direction: North at 8 mph
- Next advice: 11 a.m. ET
At 8:00 AM EST, Hurricane Fiona was located by Air Force Hurricane Hunter aircraft near 24.2N latitude and 71.7W longitude. Fiona is moving north at near 8 mph. This general movement is expected to continue through this evening. It is expected to turn northeast with an acceleration forward by Thursday.
Maximum wind speeds are close to 130 mph with higher gusts. Fiona is a Category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some additional strengthening is expected overnight, with some fluctuations in intensity likely on Thursday.
Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles from the center and tropical storm winds extend outward up to 160 miles.
The estimated minimum central pressure from Air Force Hurricane Hunter observations is 937 MB.
A hurricane watch is valid for:
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
A hurricane warning means that tornado situations are expected somewhere within the warning zone, in this case within the next 24 hours. Preparations must be expedited to protect life and property.
The Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area. The watch is usually issued 48 hours before the first expected appearance of tropical storm winds, conditions that make outdoor preparations difficult or dangerous.
A tropical storm warning means that a tropical storm is expected somewhere within the warning zone within 36 hours.
Tropical storm monitoring means that tropical storm conditions are possible within the monitoring area, generally within 48 hours.
Spaghetti Models for Hurricane Fiona
See the latest models on where Hurricane Fiona could go.
Tropical Storm Gaston
- Location: 850 miles west of the Azores
- Max wind speed: 65 mph
- Direction: Northeast at 16 mph
- Next consultation: 8 a.m. ET
At 5:00 a.m. EDT, the center of Tropical Storm Gaston was located near 37.5 north latitude and 42.6 west longitude.
Gaston is moving toward the northeast near 16 mph. Today, a turn towards the northeast is expected, followed by a movement towards the east starting Thursday.
Maximum sustained winds increased to nearly 65 mph with higher gusts. Some additional strength is possible today followed by a gradual weakening. Tropical storm winds extend outward up to 70 miles from the center. The estimated minimum central pressure is 1000 MB.
What is there and where are they?
Tropical Wave 1: A tropical wave is producing showers and thunderstorm activity a few hundred miles east of the Southern Windward Islands. The turbulence is expected to move from west to northwest through the Southern Windward Islands late in the day and then move toward the central Caribbean later this week. Interests in the Windward Islands should closely monitor the progress of this system as heavy rain and gusty winds could affect these islands starting later today.
Tropical Wave 2: A tropical wave is expected to move off the west coast of Africa on Thursday.
Tropical Wave 3: A tropical wave located several hundred miles west-southwest of the islands of Cabo Verde produces unregulated shower activity.
How likely is it to strengthen it?
Tropical Wave 1: The system continues to show signs of regulation and is likely to become a tropical depression over the next 2-3 days.
- Chance of formation in 48 hours: High, 70 percent.
- Chance of formation in 5 days: High, 90 percent.
Tropical Wave 2: Environmental conditions are expected to be favorable for the gradual development of the system for at least two days thereafter as the system slowly moves north, between West Africa and the Cabo Verde Islands, until the end of the week.
- Chance of formation in 48 hours: Low, 10 percent.
- Chance of formation within 5 days: Medium, 50 percent.
Tropical Wave 3: A slow evolution of this system is possible over the next several days as it moves northwest and then west over the tropical Atlantic.
- Chance of formation in 48 hours: Low, close to 0 percent.
- Chance of formation in 5 days: Low, 20 percent.
Likely to be affected?
Tropical waves: It is too early at this time to determine whether there will be any impact on the United States from tropical waves
Meteorologists are urging all residents to continue to monitor the tropics and always be prepared during what is expected to be an active hurricane season.
Colorado State University’s two-week forecast for September 15-28
The Colorado State University tornado forecast for September 15-28 gives the highest odds of above-normal activity – 50% – with lower odds of normal – 40% – and below-normal – 10%.
What is the date of Atlantic hurricanes?
The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30.
When is the peak of hurricane season?
Although the season has a quiet start, the peak season is September 10, with most activity occurring between mid-August and mid-October, according to the Hurricane Center.
Hours and weather warnings issued for your area
Tropical forecast for the next five days
See below the National Hurricane Center’s graphical five-day tropical weather forecast.
Heavy rain forecast
Systems that are currently monitored by the National Hurricane Center.
We will continue to update our coverage of tropical weather daily. Download your local location app to make sure you’re always connected to the news. And look at us Special subscription offers here.