Sanford Vet W Sanford promise (Midwest Initiative Program in Exploring Science) has teamed up to bring you an amazing new video lesson about the science behind healthy choices and your kidneys.
The kidneys are just one of several organs that are essential to maintaining your health and you may have two of them. Not only does it filter the blood, but it also maintains the proper balance of water and nutrients in your body.
“The kidneys get rid of metabolic waste and maintain blood composition to provide an optimal internal environment for all of our organs,” he said. Dr. Kameswaran Surendranassociate scientist at Sanford Research.
Sanford Kidney Research
Dr. Surendran leads pioneering kidney research studies at the Sanford Research Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. His lab team focuses on the different types of kidney cells and the role genes play in proper kidney function. His lab is currently focusing on how genes affect the kidneys’ ability to respond to certain types of diet.
“We hope to be able to identify eating habits that are less stressful on our kidneys to keep our kidneys and our bodies healthy,” he said.
One of the many interesting things to understand about the kidneys is how they filter the blood. The kidneys remove waste from the blood while retaining the contents necessary for the proper functioning of the body. Most of the contents of the blood are first filtered and flow through a tube leading to the bladder.
Before the fluid leaves the kidneys, kidney cells reclaim the pieces the body still needs and put them back into the bloodstream.
“It would be similar to our decision to clean up our homes by first disposing of most of our possessions along with our rubbish in a long, winding garbage chute, and when everything goes down the chute, our family members stand along the chute to grab back all the things we still treasure before it’s too late.” It’s too late.”
How to maintain kidney health
Now that you know how great your kidneys are, you can take action to help keep your kidneys healthy by making appropriate choices.
Exercising, choosing healthy foods, and drinking plenty of water are great choices you can make to keep your kidneys and body healthy.
It is really important to keep the kidneys hydrated. Thirst, nausea, headaches, and even fatigue may be signs that you are not getting enough water.
To learn more and have some fun in your classroom or at home, explore the free resources below. We have great video and fun printables to help you and your students learn more about the kidneys.
Learning about the kidneys with video
this video It covers three things:
- A hands-on experiment that you can do at home or in your classroom
- An easy-to-understand explanation of how the kidneys work
- Interesting facts about the kidneys from a Sanford research scientist
Print kidney lessons
Use the printables to guide you through the lesson and to decorate your space with healthy messages.
- coloring sheetsThese papers describe different aspects of renal function. Sheet 1 includes the excretory system including the kidneys, ureters, and bladder. Sheet 2 is a cross-section of the kidney. Leaf 3 is a nephron and a collecting duct.
- Compare and contrast: This sheet is used to help students identify similarities and differences. You can compare and contrast between the excretory system and the digestive system or between the filter and the actual kidney.
- Kidney experienceThis document will help you understand the practical activity shown in the video. This is just a starting guide – feel free to let the kids get creative and experiment in their own direction.
- scientific method: This document allows students to become scientists by following the same procedure that researchers use. This can be used to frame the experience from the video and can be used for any question the learner may wish to pursue.
- Vocabulary pageVocabulary terms from this document are used in the video. Principal and dividing cells are specific cells that were studied by Dr. Surendran at Sanford Research.
- Healthy choices stickersDecorate your space and inspire kids to make healthy choices.
Sanford PROMISE aims to inspire the next generation of scientists and raise awareness of the benefits of research. Together, Sanford Fit and Sanford PROMISE are some of the leaders in Sanford HealthCommunication with young people.
childrenAnd family MedicineAnd Healthy lifeAnd Fatherhood and MotherhoodAnd Search