The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Duke of York are unlikely to join the king and queen on the balcony during the coronation, The Mail on Sunday understands.
Buckingham Palace confirmed last night that the newly crowned King and Queen will appear at Buckingham Palace after the ceremony in May.
As with the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee last year, the royals’ lineup alongside them will be limited to working family members. This will disqualify Prince Harry, Meghan and Prince Andrew, who are no longer carrying out official duties.
Prince Andrew stepped down from his official post following allegations of sexual assault in November 2019. He has always denied the accusations.
Sources have said that Prince Harry will not appear in public on the balcony if he and his wife Meghan attend the coronation ceremony in May.
These will join Prince Andrew as non-working royals in stepping back from the limelight
Harry and Meghan left their roles three years ago when they left Britain to start a new life in California.
Earlier this month, Harry released a comprehensive book exposing past and present grievances against his family. In a television interview to promote his memoirs, he refused to confirm whether he would attend the coronation even if invited.
There is no indication from Buckingham Palace that Harry and Meghan will be barred from attending the event on May 6, which happens to be their son Archie’s fourth birthday.
However, even if the couple attended, a senior Royal insider said they were unlikely to be included in major public appearances, including the balcony moment.
After the release of Prince Harry’s explosive memoir Spear, some royal experts said it seemed impossible for the couple to be able to attend.
It followed allegations from the duke that his brother had once physically attacked him and pushed him into the dog bowl, and that he and his wife had leaked negative stories to the British media about them.
Buckingham Palace has not commented on these allegations.
But contrary to the initial analysis, there is now discussion of “peace talks” between the brothers and their father before the coronation which, all is well, could pave the way for them to attend the event itself.
Since then, Prince Harry has demanded an apology from his family for the way they treated Meghan, after claiming in his memoirs that they ‘framed’ her for being an American actress.
It comes after a furious row over whether the Duke of Sussex should be part of Buckingham Palace portraits during the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations.
Until shortly before the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee last year, it was not known whether the Sussex family would ever come out on the balcony.
As with the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee last year, the royals’ lineup alongside newly crowned King Charles and Queen Camilla will be limited to working family members.
America’s Queen Elizabeth pictured sharing a laugh with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in 2018
It is unclear if Prince Harry (centre) and Meghan Markle will attend King Charles’ coronation in May
Harry and Meghan moved to the United States almost three years ago, at the start of the coronavirus pandemic
When the Queen appeared surrounded by her family, they included Prince Charles, Camilla, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, George, Charlotte and Louis.
Smiling as she recognized the onlookers, she looked over to the mall where tens of thousands were waiting hoping to see her.
The Queen looked out on the balcony in relief as the ceremonies drew to a close, leaning on a walking stick, now a routine aid after her mobility issues, and the crowds acknowledged with a wave.
The Prince of Wales stood with the Queen alongside the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Despite not appearing on the balcony, Harry was photographed in royal photographs for the occasion.
After the National Anthem’s chorus was sung by a choir of celebrities including Sir David Jason, Harry Redknapp, Sir Cliff Richard, Sandy Shaw and Felicity Kendall, the Queen waved again to the professionals and they were joined by her great-grandchildren, with Louis waving along with them. Both hands.
Notably absent from many of the jubilee proceedings, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made their first visit to the UK since moving to the US.
But they presented Lilibet to the Queen on her first birthday, which happened while the couple was in the UK.
After it was announced that the couple would not appear on the balcony, friend and supporter Omid Scobie claimed they did not want to be involved.
It followed a sensational statement from the Queen that the couple – along with Prince Andrew – will not be invited onto the balcony for Trooping the Colour, the sweet start to the long weekend of festivities.
Subsequently, the Sussexes released a statement that they would still be flying from California with their two children.
Mr Scobie wrote: “As is so often the case, the reality is a lot less dire when you hear that Prince Harry had already spoken to his grandmother about the possibility of not attending Trooping the Color long before last week’s announcements.”
He said the couple were “extremely anxious” to be part of the jubilee celebrations, but “both sides” thought it would be more appropriate not to have the Sussex on the balcony.